< Back to glossary
The Loft Law is a NY State law designed to protect tenants in NYC who are illegally living in commercial or factory buildings.
It has two goals: to bring those buildings up to residential safety and fire codes, and to give rights and rent protection to the tenants who live there.
Buildings under the Loft Board’s jurisdiction receive the following benefits:
- No risk of being vacated for illegal residency by the DOB
- Units are rent stabilized
- Units are a legal live/work lofts
- You can stay for life with all the protections of rent stabilization
- One-time sucession right for family members
- Guaranteed services (heat, hot water, electricity, habitability)
- Ability to go to Housing Court if there are any problems with the building
- The right to sell your Loft Law rights